The National Osteoporosis Society warns young adults that not eating dairy puts health in danger

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Bastian, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Bastian

Bastian Administrator Staff Member

They are saying that dairy is important in order to avoid osteoporosis when most of the evidence say it isn't conclusive - see this from Harvard. I've no idea who funds the osteoporosis society but a spokesperson was just on the radio saying that milk and dairy products are vital for children in order to not get osteoporosis. Then he went on to talk about the rising osteoporosis in adults now. This doesn't make sense as its in recent years that veganism has grown in popularity so this is nothing to do with trends now. The expect went on to say the NHS gives the best diet advice, their advice includes having diet drinks, low fat products and a diet that is based on carbohydrates. They also receive funding from the meat and dairy industry.

[​IMG]
    Many studies show that countries with the highest levels of calcium have the highest level of fractures. So something doesn't make sense.

This organisation probably receives funding from the dairy industry so instead look at what Harvard nutrition says:Calcium is important. But milk isn’t the only, or even best, source.
    They are now backtracking from all the press releases they sent out and all the pro dairy headlines they deliberately created by saying its about calcium intake not dairy. This seems to just be misleading news headlines to generate a buzz for their organisation. The advice on their website isn't totally flawed, unlike the attention grabbing sound bites they sent for press releases - "A vegetarian diet is not a risk factor for osteoporosis and vegetarians and vegans do not appear to have poorer bone health than the rest of the population."

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Bastian

Bastian Administrator Staff Member

I wish the Harvard quote said dairy rather than just milk, but still I think it's a good one so made this little image to share on social media.

I'm not a health expect and nor do I give health advice, but I encourage people to look beyond the headline. Harvard is well respected and the articles linked to above I think are very helpful. dairy-isnt-best-source-of-calcium.jpg

3. Nikko

Nikko New Member

April fools has been and gone. Who is this charity working for?! The country's with the highest dairy consumption also have the highest osteoporosis rates. Bad science!
    More important is vitamin d in the UK and most people regardless of being vegan or not at deficient!