One Pink Lady Apple is more expensive than a bag of 10 "Strawberry" doughnuts

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by PaleoM, Mar 29, 2017.

1. PaleoM

PaleoM New Member

Is it any wonder dementia, diabetes and cancer are on the rise?!

68p for a pink lady apple and a bag of 10 doughnuts for 65p. They are apparently strawberry, but I don't need to read the packet to know that they will contain nothing but junk. If money was tights I wouldn't be buying apples, the doughnuts maybe deep fried bread and covered in sugar but they will be more filling than apples.

2. Celo

Celo New Member

Pink lady apples are one of the most expensive and often come from new Zealand. But you do have a good point, fruit is expensive junk food is cheap. If I had a limited budget and hungry mouths to feed fruit wouldn't be at the top of the list. People hate the idea of a fat or sugar tax in the UK, but I would support it.

People may say it's none of my business, but when we have a publically funded health service that is failing due to obesity, dementia and cancer that are mostly caused by lifestyle choice - aka people eating shit and not moving enough. Then it's very much my business.

3. Bastian

Bastian Administrator Staff Member

It is sad the amount of junk food you can buy for a few pounds :(

But all of these junk foods are just empty calories. If you cost it per nutrition fresh foods are way cheaper and junk foods are vastly expensive. It's hard to sell it that way though :(