Is dark chocolate really considered a health food?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MsJackson, Mar 12, 2017.

1. MsJackson

MsJackson New Member

I'm a bit confused with chocolate, loads of places call dark chocolate a health food due to the antioxidant. But it still contains sugar so why is it a health food but contains the one ingredient that universally is know as a bad food?

So many different kinds of dark chocolate, surely they can't all be healthy?

2. MsJackson

MsJackson New Member

Do emoji's work on here? I added several chocolate ones but can't see them

3. Magz

Magz New Member

You can buy raw vegan chocolate that is sweetened just with coconut sugar, so its sugar but with other vitamins and minerals unlike normal white refined sugar. Its a fun food to have in moderation, like everything IMO.

4. Bastian

Bastian Administrator Staff Member

I always use an 85% dark chocolate in the "healthy" recipes here. I know it still has 15% sugar, but that is a small amount and the fats in the high-quality chocolate purely from cacao stops it from entering the bloodstream rapidly some say.

You can get chocolate that is sweetened with stevia or xylitol or coconut sugar if you prefer.

I consider very dark chocolate a health food as it does have a decent amount of nutrition and unlike high sugar and milk chocolate you only need a small amount to be satisfied. Just a square of chocolate is enough for me, but back when I had dairy milk I could eat 100-200g in a go!